Serve your lodge . . .
Serve as an Elangomat!
The word Elangomat is translated as “friend” from the Lenni Lenape. Thus, an Elangomat serves as a friend to the Ordeal Candidates.
When it is time to welcome new candidates into our Order at a Conclave/Ordeal Weekend. As you all know, to make this happen we need Elangomats.
We were all candidates once, and we went through the Ordeal led by some person we probably just met called an Elangomat. He tested the bow with us and worked along side us throughout the weekend.
As many of you may recall, Elangomats were the friends who led us through the various tests of the Ordeal, and served our lodge and the Ordeal with a great spirit and desire to insure that all candidates found the true meaning of the Order.
It was Elangomats that showed all of us the path through the Ordeal and onward to Brotherhood.
Many who have served in this role have commented that it brought time to reflect on their own Ordeal weekend, no matter how long ago that was, and many stated that it only intensified their respect for the Order and strengthened their bond in Brotherhood.
Now it is your time to return the favor, and maybe even strengthen your bond in the Lodge by becoming an Elangomat.
Every member is encouraged to be an Elangomat at least once before they become a Brotherhood member. This experience gives one the opportunity to more completely understand the meaning of the Ordeal and its intentions.
Essentially, an Elangomat goes through the Ordeal again as if he or she were an Ordeal candidate.
Besides strengthening your understanding to the Ordeal, you help to improve the experience for the Ordeal Candidates in attendance.
During the Ordeal, an Elangomat will act as a liaison from the Lodge to the candidates, enduring every part of the ordeal with them, and therefore strengthening their confidence.
Serving as an Elangomat also and excellent way of fulfilling one of the requirements for Brotherhood.
Being an Elangomat is a wonderful experience and we encourage all Arrowmen to serve in this important role at least once.
The Ordeal really is better the second time around!
When you sign up for a Conclave/Ordeal Weekend, let the Lodge know you’d like to serve as an Elangomat.
Elangomats attend for FREE!
What is an Elangomat?
An Elangomat fulfills many functions in the Induction process, but his chief responsibility is revealed by his title Elangomat, which means “FRIEND”.
A good Elangomat develops a personal relationship with each of the members of his clan. But this relationship is not one of words, it is deeper, for he shares in the hardships of the candidates, and in their silence.
The job of an Elangomat is not easy. He must function as a crew chief, friend, example to his candidates, counselor, mediator, and policeman.
The Elangomat must be a constant and continual example of the Obligation. This may not always be possible, but it is the goal.
Being an Elangomat is a great sacrifice, but as with all true services, you gain as much or more than you give. This you will know if you take the Ordeal challenge yourself.
Duties and Responsibilities of an Elangomat:
- To honestly try in all ways to bring candidates to a compete understanding of the purpose and the spirit of the Order of the Arrow.
- To always take the initiative in performing service and accomplishing tasks.
- To be a continual example of the Spirit of the Order in both action and attitude.
- To be foremost in ensuring that the candidates are following in full the challenges of the Order and to take appropriate action when these challenges are not being met.
- To encourage candidates in their understanding of the real purpose of the Ordeal which they are experiencing.
- To strive to bring to the candidates the ideals and instill with them the virtues of Brotherhood and cheerful service.
- To make the candidates feel that they are now part of the Order and to work with them following the Ordeal till they achieve Brotherhood.