Unit leaders (Scoutmasters, Varsity Team Coaches, and Committee Chairs) are now able to request an election through our new Unit Elections Scheduling Tool (below) or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. When requesting a unit election, please be sure to provide the following information: – Your District and Unit – Your preferred election date, time, and location – A point of contact (Scoutmaster, OA Unit Representative, etc) – Any special instructions that you feel would help the elections team.
- At least 50% of your active scouts must be present to hold an election
- For all scouts elected, we will need the BSA ID number (found on the ID card or your troop charter).
Youth Eligibility Requirements:
- Must be a registered member of the Garden State Council, Boy Scouts of America; and
- Must be under 21 years of age at time of election (this includes Assistant Scoutmasters aged 18-20); and
Hold at least first class rank in the Boy Scouts of America; and
- Have experienced 15 days and nights of camping under the auspices of the Boy Scouts of America, after joining a troop, and within the past two years. The 15 days and nights must include one, but no more than one, long-term camp consisting of six consecutive days and five nights of resident camping, approved and under the auspices and standards of the Boy Scouts of America. The balance of the camping must be overnight, weekend, or other short-term camps; and
- Have the endorsement of Scoutmaster BEFORE the election is held.
In order to prepare for the election, please have a list of all youth in your troop who meet the above eligibility requirements, including rank, addresses, and phone numbers. The Pre-Election Eligibility Form in this packet may be used for that purpose. At least half (50%) of your registered, active membership must be present in order to conduct a valid election. All youth members and leaders (under 21 years) are eligible to vote in the election.
Adult Eligibility Requirements:
Each year, upon holding a troop or team election for youth candidates that results in at least one youth candidate being elected, the unit committee may nominate adults to the lodge adult selection committee. The number of adults nominated can be no more than one-third of the number of youth candidates elected, rounded up where the number of youth candidates is not a multiple of three. In addition to the one-third limit, the unit committee may nominate the currently serving unit leader (but not assistant leaders), as long as he or she has served as unit leader for at least the previous twelve months. Recommendations of the adult selection committee, which consists of the lodge adviser, the chairman of the council committee on which the lodge adviser serves, and the lodge staff adviser, with the approval of the Scout executive, serving as Supreme Chief of the Fire, will be candidates for induction, provided the following conditions are fulfilled:
- Selection of the adult is based on the ability to perform the necessary functions to help the Order fulfill its purpose, and not for recognition of service, including current or prior achievement and positions.
- The individual will be an asset to the Order because of demonstrated abilities that fulfill the purpose of the Order.
- The camping requirements set forth for youth members are fulfilled.
- The adult leader’s membership will provide a positive example for the growth and development of the youth members of the lodge.
All adult nominations must be submitted to the GARDEN STATE COUNCIL Lodge Adviser (address is on the Adult Nomination Form) no later than May 15, 2017.